The purpose of translate.wordpress.com is to facilitate the translation of WordPress.com and other projects into different languages, so everyone, regardless of their language, can have a voice on the Internet. As such, this translation community is open to anyone who wants to help translate into their language.
As a community translator, you are expected to follow these guidelines.
Translator Best Practices
- Use a friendly, personable tone, following the guidelines in our style guide.
- Translate organically, not literally. Make translations sound natural while still conveying the message of the original. Don’t be afraid to deviate from the original wording to make the text sound more natural in your language.
- Use previous translations to inform new translations. Locale-specific glossaries and style guides can be helpful in ensuring consistency across all translations.
- Use familiar wording and terminology that all users in your language will be able to understand. Avoid slang, colloquialisms, and other audience-specific words that might be hard to understand.
- Be respectful to other translators and community members. Be friendly and encouraging to other participants. Do not insult others, use offensive language, or send spam.
- Work together. Language is very subjective so you may not agree with your fellow translators on a translation. Have a friendly discussion about it and come to a consensus about the best way forward.
- Have fun!
Validator Best Practices
- Approve translations that are accurate and natural sounding.
- Edit any typos or mistranslations before approving.
- Provide feedback to translators about suggested translations. If you reject a translation, let the translator know why the translation was rejected.
- Improve existing translations that are inaccurate or don’t make sense in context.
- Collaborate with translators to agree on language conventions, being respectful to translators and other validators.
We may temporarily or permanently suspend accounts that do not comply with these standards. We also reserve the right to remove any content deemed offensive.
Behaviors that do not comply with community standards include:
- Posting offensive, intimidating, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory or demeaning content to translate.wordpress.com or any of its related forums.
- Insulting or harassing other translators in the community.
- Sending spam or advertisements.
If you notice unacceptable behavior or offensive content here, please flag it to us immediately.
I will translate with the WordPress.com user in mind, using a friendly, personable tone. I understand that translating to convey meaning is more important than translating literally; I will make every effort convey the meaning of each string in a natural sounding way in my language. I will only use translate.wordpress.com as a platform to further the community translations efforts. I will be respectful of all users in the community, collaborating with other translators to come to a consensus about language conventions.